Articles in journals and edited books
- Bergmann, E. (2023). Chapter 10: ‘Will the Covid-19 Crisis Lead to a Fourth Wave of Neo-Nationalism’ Rising?
In Titlestad, van Wyk and Musila. The Plague Years: Reflecting on the Pandemics. Routledge.
- Bergmann, E. (2022). ‘Iceland’s deep-rooted nationalism and recent quasi-populism‘. In Decker et al (Eds). Aufstand der Außenseiter. Nomos: doi.org/10.5771/9783845297996
- Bergmann, E. (2022). ‘Populism and the Politics of Misinformation’.
In Merle A. Williams, Cultures of Populism: Institutions, Practices and Resistance. Routledge.
- Bergmann, E. (2021, November). Will the COVID-19 Crisis Lead to a Fourth Wave of Neo-Nationalism Rising?
English Studies in Africa. Vol 64, 2021. Issue 1-2: The Plague Years
- Bergmann, E. (2021). ‘The Eurabia Conspiracy Theory‘
In Önnerfors & Krauwel. Europe: Continent of Conspiracies. Routledge
- Bergmann, E. (2020). Populism and the politics of misinformation
Safundi. The Journal of South African and American Studies. Vol 21 (2020), 251-265
- Bergmann, E., and Butter, M. (2020). ‘Populism and Conspiracy Theories’. In: Butter, M., and Knight, P. (Eds). Routledge Handbook of Conspiracy Theories. London: Routledge.
- Bergmann, E., Dyrendal, A., Harambam, J., and Thórisdóttir, H. (2020). ‘Society and politics: Introduction’. In: Butter, M. and Knight, P. (Eds). Routledge Handbook of Conspiracy Theories. London: Routledge.
- Bergmann, E. (2018). Iceland in Europe – Keeping its distance. In Moreau, P. & Wassenberg, B. (Eds), European Integration and new Anti-Europeanism III: Perceptions of External States on European Integration. Stuttgart: Frans Steiner Verlag. Pp. 65-86.
- The New Political Order in Post-Crash Iceland: Refoundation, continuity or status quo?
In Bellina S (Ed) Refounding State Legitimacy: When experience and practice speak. Paris: Foundation Charles Leopold Mayer. Vol 1 (2018). Pp 77-88.
- Við og hinir – Þjóðernispopúlismi á Norðurlöndum [e. Us and Them – Nationalist Populism in the Nordic Countries]
Skírnir – Journal of the Icelandic Literature Society. Spring 2017
- The Icesave Dispute: A Case Study into the Crisis of Diplomacy during the Credit Crunch
Nordicum-Mediterraneum. Akureyri: University of Akureyri. Nordic-Mediterraneum. Vol. 12, No 1 (2017)
- Participatory Constitutional Deliberation in the Wake of Crisis: The Case of Iceland
In Reuchamps and Suiter (Eds) (2016). Constitutional Deliberative Democracy in Europe. ECPR Press.
- A critique of neo-mercantilist analyses of Icelandic political economy and crisis
[With Claes Belfrage and David M. Berry]
Capital & Class. Sage journals. Published online before print, 16. September 201
- Populism in Iceland: Has the Progressive Party turned populist?
Icelandic Review of Politics and Administration. Reykjavik: University of Iceland. Vol. 11, No 1 (2015), 33-54
- La nouvelle donne politique de l’Islande post-krach: Refondation, continuité ou statu quo? (New political situation in post-crisis Iceland: reorganisation, continuity or status quo?). In Severine Bellina (Ed.). Refonder la légitimité de l’État. IRG – Institut de recherche et débat sur la gouvernance. Karthala: Paris. March 2015
- Togstreita íslenskra stjórnmála – áhrif pólitískrar sjálfsmyndar þjóðarinnar á efnahagsstjórnmál landsins (e. Internal dilemma of Icelandic politics)
Skírnir – Journal of the Icelandic Literature Society. Spring 2014
- Iceland: A postimperial sovereignty project
Cooperation and Conflict. Sage publications. March 2014. Vol. 49(1) 33– 54
- A threat to democracy and independence? Perception of the EU in Icelandic discourse
In Rye, Lise (Ed.). Distant Voices: Ideas of democracy and the Eurozone crisis. [ISBN: 9788232103546]. Trondheim: Akademika publishing. December 2013
- Nach dem Crash (e. After the Crash).
INDES, Zeitschrift fur Politik und Gesellschaft. Göttinger Institute fur Demokratieforschung. April 2013. [Pages 82-93].
- The Nordics as a Micro Cosmos of the EU
In Kristina Person (Ed.) Nordic Voices on Europe’s future. Global Utmaning. Stockholm, February 2013. [Pages 122-132].
- The Study of European Union Seen From Outside: European Integration Studies in Norway and Iceland 1990 – 2010
[With Eliassen, Kjell and Sjøvaag Marino, Marit]. In Bindi, Federiga and Elisasen, Kjell A.(ed’s.) Analyzing European Union Politics. [ISBN: 978-88-15-14716-5]. Bologna: Il Mulino publishing house. September 2012
- Svarti Pétur – Breytt hlutverk forsetans og frumvarp Stjórnlagaráðs. (e. Black Jack – Changed role of the President and the bill for a new Icelandic constitution)
Skírnir – Journal of the Icelandic Literature Society. May 2012
- On the edge – Iceland’s national discourse and the European project
In Ramos, C. T. (ed.) Ideas of Europe in national political discourse. [ISBN: 978-88-15-14720-2.]. Bologna: Il Mulino. July 2011
- Sense of Sovereignty. How national sentiments have influenced Iceland’s European policy
Icelandic Review of Politics and Administration. Reykjavik: University of Iceland. December 2009
- Íslenskt þjóðerni og óttinn við innflytjendur. (e. Icelandic nationalism and the fear of immigration)
Ritið – Journal of the Humanities Department. Reykjavik: University of Iceland. April 2008
- Hvers vegna EES en ekki ESB? (e. Why EEA but not EU?)
Journal of Social Science. Bifrost: Bifrost University. December 2007
- Fiskurinn eða fullveldið? (e. Fish or the Sovereignty?)
Icelandic Review of Politics and Administration. Reykjavik: University of Iceland. May 2006
Chapters in conference publications and working papers
- The Icesave dispute: case study into crisis of diplomacy during the Credit Crunch
Draft paper under review. Presented at the conference “No-one is an island”. University of Akureyri, March 19th 2016
- Citizens Assemblies in response to crisis of democratic representation: The Case of Iceland
Conference paper. Economic Recession, Democratic Recession? ECPR joint sessions. Salamanca, Spain, April 11. 2014. [Here is slide presentation].
- The Icesave dispute: Study into crisis of diplomacy and international legality of the financial sector during the Credit Crunch
Conference paper, presented at COST action 1003 conference: Globalization and the Boundaries of Legality. Hosted by Erfurt University in Weimar, Germany, December 11.–13. 2013
- Reconstituting Iceland – constitutional reform caught in a new critical order in the wake of crisis
Conference paper. Political Legitimacy and the Paradox of Regulation. Leiden University, January 24-25, 2013
- The EU as threat to Iceland’s internal democracy
Work shop paper. Distant Voices project. Brussels: Mid Norway’s house. November 16th 2012
- Iceland, EU, EEA, the financial crisis and democracy
Work shop paper. Distant Voices project. Paris: The Norwegian Research Centre in Paris. April 26-27, 2012
- Iceland’s National Discourse and the EU – a Reluctant Participant
Conference paper. Micropolities in the Margins of Europe – Postcolonial Sovereignty Games (MEPS). University of Greenland. Nuuk. April 20-21
- The root’s to Iceland’s foreign relations
Conference paper. Microstates in the margins of Europe: Postcolonial Sovereignty games. Centre for European Studies. Copenhagen University. May 31st to June 1st 2010
- Er Ísland fullvalda? (e. Is Iceland sovereign?)
Research in Social Sciences X. (In Halldór Sig. Guðmundsson and Silja Bára Ómarsdóttir, ritstj.). Institute for Social Sciences. University of Iceland. October 2009
- Sense of sovereignty: Iceland, a reluctant participant in the European project
Conference paper. Globalization and European integration – the nature of the beast. Warwick University. June 5 & 6 2009
- A sovereign state? – Iceland and the EU
Paper at SENT project conference. University Fernando Pessoa. Oporto April 27-28 2009
- Óvéfengjanleg sérstaða þjóðarinnar – greining á þingræðum í aðdraganda EFTA-aðildarinnar 1970. (e. Undisputed specialty of the nation)
Bifröst Journal of Social Science. September 2008
- Þjóðernishugmyndir Íslendinga og afstaðan til Evrópu. (e. Icelandic national identity and the attitude towards Europe)
Bifröst Journal of Social Science. September 2008
- It‘s cold up north: Iceland, a reluctant participant in the European project
Paper presented at the Global International Studies Conference in Ljubljana, July 23–27, 2008
- Deep inside the European project
Negotiating Europe, foundations, dynamics, challenges. (In Anamaria Dutceac Segesgten et al.) Centre for European studies. Lund university. January 2007
- Ísland greiðir fyrir stækkun ESB. (e. Iceland pay’s for EU enlargement.)
Research in Social Sciences VII. (In Úlfar Hauksson). Institute for Social Sciences. University of Iceland. October 2006
- Evrópuvæðing Íslands. (e. Europeanization of Iceland)
Icelandic Review of Politics and Administration. Reykjavik: University of Iceland. December 2005
- Á kafi í Evrópusamrunanum (e. Deep inside the European Project)
Research in Social Sciences VI. (In Úlfar Hauksson)
Institute for Social Sciences. University of Iceland. October 2005
- Blikur á Lofti – áratugur í EES. (e. A decade of the EEA)
Research in Social Sciences V. (In Úlfar Hauksson)
Institute for Social Sciences. University of Iceland. October 2004